The first Romanian monument, the Obelisk with Lions Monument - was placed in November 1834 in Copou Park in Iaşi. He was meant to be a sign of gratitude towards Russia and Turkey for the first political, legal and administrative law called "Organic Regulation" (1832).
The monument has a height of 13 m and a weight of 10 t. The plans for this monument were made by Gheorghe Asachi.
The four lions at the base of the monument each bear a sword with oak branches. They symbolize the four European powers which recognized the independence of Romanian Countries.
The obelisk is in Copou Park near Eminescu Linden.